Happy New Year! I can’t believe we are into 2018 already…where did 2017 go?! Reflecting back, 2017 was a very busy year and nothing short of great. Sure, we hit a few bumps, but the good always out weighs the things that weren’t so great. Some special highlights to name a few would be we welcomed a beautiful new baby girl to our family of 3, we made an exciting move to a new country, moved into a new home, and Henry started school…no wonder it flew by.
With a new year comes a new start and new goals. I have been thinking about what I really want to accomplish this year and I have a few items on my list.
- For starters I really want to become more present. I catch myself checking my phone whenever I am bored or mindlessly scrolling through emails that are mostly just junk, I want to put the phone down more and focus on what’s around me.
- Be more confident as a person and as a mother while worrying less. This one’s tough for me to even say out loud because as a mom you never want to admit that you have hard days or doubt yourself, but I do this often. I am always concerned if I am making the right choices for Henry and Matilda. When we moved to Mexico I had to find my groove again and I am still finding it. We were out of routine and without our support system. I had a very hard time leaving the house with both kids, fearful I couldn’t do it and honestly it was very intimidating, new country, new highway, new rules, and English speaking people were far and few, my list continued to make me say no I’ll just wait until Seth gets home. Eventually, this took a toll on my mood, I was resentful that I was stuck at home and didn’t get out, so with a deep breath and an attitude that “I got this”, I started getting out and my confidence started building, everything started to fall into place. I was happier, the kids were happier, and in turn my husband was happier too. I want to continue this new found confidence into 2018 and no longer have the doubt I so badly had when we first moved here.
- Healthier lifestyle…I am not talking diets and exercise. I want to just over all live healthier mentally and physically. Get rid of the negativity stick with positive thoughts and be thankful. Drink more water, eat more veggies, get outside and smile a little more.
- Keep up on my blogging and when doing so let my guard down in my posts. After talking to friends and family and getting their feed back they have all told me I need to be more vulnerable and not be afraid of saying how I really feel. And it is true…I saw a post the other day that said “Trying to please everybody is like trying to taste like water when you are a glass of whiskey. The people who like whiskey will REALLY appreciate you and the people who like water have enough of it already” (@bymariandrew on Instagram is where I saw this gem of a saying) I found it to be pretty accurate and I need to let go of trying to be so careful and really show you my honest thoughts and my reality.
- Last but not least travel, travel, travel….and really get to know Mexico!
So, here are my goals and now that I have them written down and for the world to see it can make me even more accountable on sticking to them! Here’s to the year of the dog and since this is one of my top 3 favorite animals it must mean its going to be a great year.